“Dude, we can dress however we feel like it. Yay!”
You know the deal:
- “We’re a startup; we can dress as wacked as we want!”
- “Hey, I’m working at home. My PJs work fine.”
- “It’s a waste of time dressing, when we could be working!”
Yet, what you might not know: You increase your chances of doing sloppy/sad/tired work when you dress sloppy/sad/tired. Dressing well ‘tricks’ your brain to work better by enlivening your subconscious to kick mutha-!@#$%^ ass.
How Dressing Well Rocks
Dressing to impress enforces good symbolism that make you perform at your best. Think of it this way:
Your PJs + You
- You wear your PJs at night when you’re watching TV.
- You start symbolizing your PJs with relaxation, leisure, unimportance, yadda.
- That subconsciously compelling you to experience “relaxation, leisure, unimportance, yadda” when you’re in those PJs.
Now, compare what you’d wear on a first date:
Your First Date Clothes + You
- Unless you’re too-cool-for-skool, you’d likely “dress to impress.”
- You symbolize those clothes with success, peak performance, and being at your most kick-ass self.
- Your “first-date” clothes subconsciously compels you to perform at your best.
El Rule of Thumbo
- If you dress sloppy, you’ll likely do sloppy work.
- If you dress kick-ass, you’ll likely do kick-ass work.
According to Harvard Medical’s Alice Domar:
Although it may seem counter-intuitive to slip into the skirt you save for special occasions, it helps to look in the mirror and see an energizing image ‘ not a deflating one that confirms and reinforces your internal state. Dressing for success will give you a big mental boost every time you catch sight of your reflection throughout the day.
“But, What If I Hate Suits?!”
“Dressing well” doesn’t just mean suits and ties. It’s whatever makes you perform at your best. In other words, instead of thinking what will impress others, start thinking:
- “What clothes impress me?”
Once you start loving what you wear, you’ll increase your confidence to perform.
Kick ass and take names by dressing to impress yo-self.
Think about it…
- What To Wear On A First Date | WeLoveDates (welovedates.com)
- What to Wear to an Interview (theblush.com)
- The 4 Things Guys Secretly Hope You’ll Wear On a Date | WeLoveDates (welovedates.com)
- Girls Dresses for Summer are the Deal of the Day at Montana Twirls Children’s Clothing (montanatwirls.com)