When you are living in a tropical place like India the biggest issue you face is when the beard starts to grow long. The hot and humid climate takes a toll on your facial hair and if not taken care of, it can start looking like pubic hair. Yeah, I know you are nodding your head while you are reading this in agreement.
So here are few steps from my personal experience that might come handy and be useful for you. It’s been around 6 years since I have gone clean shaven. It doesn’t mean I have a beard which is almost touching my knees. I mean, yeah it would have grown that long but then I would have settled in Himalayas.
Phew, coming back to the topic. Here are 7 ways to keep your beard happy.
- Patience – You need to have patience when growing a beard. It will not grow in couple of weeks. If in the starting you start to look like a coconut with few hairs, it’s ok, it’s natural. Wait it out.There’s a two week period where you have the puffy headed look of a Monchichi, and there isn’t a damn thing that you can do about it. However, keep oiling the beard with coconut or any other oil once or twice a week before shower. Because, since it is growing up, it needs nourishment.
- Beard Comb – Grab a wooden beard comb and don’t use the usual hair brush or comb. You can get a beard comb around any Gurudwara or ask any of your sardar friend.
- Beard Oil – Coconut and other oils are naturally good but if you need to take a further step, buy beard oil. They are now available in India. Initially, I started using Ustra Beard products but soon I realized they are not yet perfect. The Beard wash leaves your beard frizzy and the beard oil is all scent and no oil. Highly disappointed. On the other hand, currently I am using Beardo products and they are better than Ustra. Costly maybe but quality is better. So based on your budget grab a beard oil.
- Beard Wash or Soap – Honestly, they both do the same thing. Washing your beard with soap will strip out all the oils completely, which seems like it would make your beard less controllable, right? Well, it does. Hence, whatever your mom or girlfriend says, don’t wash the beard with soap or shampoo or beard wash too often. This will also remove all the naturally generated body oil and leave your skin and beard dry.
- Trimming – Yes, don’t be afraid to trim your beard once in a while. This will not only help in growth but will keep your beard in proper shape while growing. Get rid of those frizzy hair trying to stand on their own outwards.
- Beard Wax – This is optional. But it is crucial, once your beard grows out and starts crossing the neck, it will go in whatever the fucking direction it wants to. To keep it under check, keep beard wax handy. Again, you can buy this from anywhere. Or you can even use Hair Gel. Just apply a small amount and you will be fine.
- Go deaf – THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE. The whole world will go against you. Apne to Apne nahi hote when it comes to growin a beard. So whatever your mom, girlfriend, boss and those irritating relatives tell you, your name is whatever it is and you are not a terrorist. Just have patience and keep trimming it and oiling it. You will be fine.
Think about it… Hope this helps.