It’s been 4 years now and I have always got outstanding rating in my appraisal. Now the below points may wary from one industry to another but in the nutshell it works. Going by some logic and some personal experience, you will understand and should try to implement some of these in your office. Either it will work or not at all but nothing will go wrong.
– Be sincere to yourself and to your work. First and foremost you are working for yourself and then for your company. So, be true to yourself and love what you do. Then only you will be able to give 100% to your work. It is always great when your passion becomes your work but even if it doesn’t follow your passion too but enjoy the work as well. I was a developer who is now a manager. These were not my passion but eventually I discovered what I can love in it.
Never say no to work
– No matter what you do, never say no to additional work. The only exception here is the task which you know will not be fruitful and will bear no output. Only those can be said No to.
– With the advancement of technology and every one going for eco-friendly, effort reduction, money saving options and other stuff, make sure you automate whatever you can. It might take away some of your work but it will surely get you new work and visibility among the seniors. So think out of the box.
Courage to let go
– One should not be afraid to let go of work to their juniors. Till the time you don’t let go of tasks that you have mastered in, you will not grow. So, whenever you are given a task, master it and then share it with juniors and let them handle it while you ask your boss to give you more higher/difficult tasks. He/She will be impressed and this will showcase your leadership skills.
Visibility to boss
– This is the final and most important point. All of the above pointers depend on this. Always make sure that your boss knows what you are doing and what you have finished. We tend to forget that the boss is a human after all and during the appraisal time might forget what you did. So whenever you take up a new task or complete one, communicate with your boss and make sure he knows about it. Every 2nd Friday or any day – twice a month, schedule a feedback session with your boss to discuss your SWOT. Also, keep a note of all the accomplishments which you can take up during the appraisal discussion. But, all in all, communication is really necessary.